Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Change Your Mind

Change. A scary, deliberate, sometimes anxiety provoking word.

Change. An exciting, expansive, life opening word.

Change is not so simple. It's neither bad nor good, yet both entirely. It is the thing that we dread and for some, it scares the living hell out of us. However it's also the thing that people seek out, knowing it will lead them forward onto newer, greater things.

Change used to be something I was terrified of. I would cling to the past, clench my fists around the "things" I didn't want to lose, and dance with the beliefs I never wanted to give up. I thought I could stay away from change. If I held on tight enough, no one could rip anything from my arms until I was ready to let it go. But that was the problem. I saw change as someone ripping something from me, taking it away, leaving me behind in pieces. But that's not true.

Change is so much bigger than we think. It's not just the stripping away of the old, it's incredibly inspiring. It's electric and powerful. It opens us up to experiences we never thought relevant or even possible. But we don't always see it that way because of the loss that it often entails and the discomfort we expect.

Change can be intimidating, or it can awaken something exhilarating inside of you. Every time I have the courage to transform myself, I discover something brilliant about life. I learn about myself and I enjoy experiences that will forever shape who I am in the best possible way. Embracing change sounds cliche, but it's so necessary. If you seek after change with the determination to conquer your fears and trek onward, you will without a doubt unearth such great wisdom and experience, a beautiful chest of treasure, that will surely bring you much happiness.

When I'm feeling stuck in place or scared of a big change, I like to do something I call "24 changes". I pick 24 smaller aspects of my daily life to change. Taking down an art piece or adding one, getting a new phone case, changing my face wash, rearranging my desk, putting a new sticker on my car. Whatever you have been doing routinely for too long, no matter how small, SWITCH IT UP! Finally get that new lamp, change that burnt out light bulb, get rid of that old jewelry box you never use. This theory of changing as many small aspects of your life that you can will show you that:

1. Change is cool not scary
2. You could discover something amazing you've never tried before
3. You might just inspire a bigger change to occur in your life

No matter what changes you are facing, I promise you, it can be done. It doesn't have to be hard, it doesn't have to be incredibly uncomfortable. There is so much out there to experience, so why not try to live as many different ways as you possibly can? Change your mind about change and it will never fail to carry you onward to your next big adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment